Law and Ethics Risk Management: Counseling and Family Law (1)
Time & Location
About the Event
This workshop is now going to be presented virtually on May 29, 2020 and not be offered in person at Compass Health in Everett due to the ongoing COVID-19 Crisis. Please join us for the workshop and register today at www.nasw-wa.org.
Anyone who has worked with children or adults involved in – or even approaching -- a family law battle knows how complicated things can get for everyone involved – the children, the parents, and the counselor, too! This presentation will help counselors identify family law issues before they arise, learn best practices for responses to requests for legal participation, and set limits appropriate to scope of practice.
· Provide an overview of what issues can occur when working with children and adults who may be involved in custody cases.
· Participants will have an understanding of how to respond to requests for evaluation, opinion as to parenting and custody, advocacy and collateral attendance.
· Participants will understand the pitfalls that can lead to the perception of unprofessional conduct and how to avoid them.
· Participants will understand how to respond to a subpoena, the differences between acting as a fact witness and an expert witness, and ways to respond to requests to testify in court.
About the Presenter: Frances Schopick, JD, MSW
Frances Schopick, JD, MSW is an attorney with an extensive background in Social Work, Psychology, and Psychiatric Research in hospital settings. She has served on the Faculties of Mount Sinai School of Medicine in NYC, and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. She has worked in depth with people with Mood, Personality, and Psychotic Disorders.
Now an attorney in WA State, Ms. Schopick represents healthcare licensees with DOH complaints, provides consultation and continuing education presentations to licensees in behavioral health, and consults for witness prep for deposition and trial. Her background in private, hospital, and agency practices give her unique insight into the risks providers face.
Frances completed her AB at Barnard College at Columbia University in New York City, her Master’s Degree in Social Work (MSW) at the Hunter College School of Social Work in NYC, and her Juris Doctor (JD) at the University of New Hampshire.
- NASW Member$175$1750$0
- Compass Health Employee$125$1250$0